In the new ‘COVID normal world’ where many employees (and businesses) are re-evaluating their priorities – being an employer of choice is more important now than ever.
It means that people will choose to work for you over other businesses and want to stay employed with you long-term. It is not necessarily easy or quick to do but the benefits are enormous. Research shows that employers who have highly engaged staff are more productive and profitable than other organisations.
Benefits of being an employer of choice:
- Retention of employees: employees will stay with you longer
- Healthier workplace culture: employer’s of choice find that productivity increases and sick days decrease
- The best talent will want to work for you: this is important when there are skills shortages
How to become an employer of choice:
There are small adjustments that you can implement to get you there. You don’t have to do all at once but anything you can do is a step in the right direction.
- Survey your people: survey your staff to get a baseline of where you are at and what people want. Implement the suggestions made.
- Provide clear career paths and training opportunities: use training to upskill your team and provide continuous learning opportunities. Conduct performance appraisals yearly to identify skills gaps and use these to set goals and development plans.
- Communicate: communicate with your team to involve them in what is happening, challenges, what work is coming up and to celebrate success. Communicate clearly with honesty and respect.
- Reward and recognition: pay competitive salaries and review yearly. Recognise employees who do a good job and reward for achievement. It could be team dinners, gift cards or other experiences.
- Corporate social responsibility: people want to work for companies who do good in the world. This gives staff a positive meaning to their work. Participate in charity days, fundraising or raising awareness, or give staff days off to volunteer for a charity your company support.
In other exciting news, we have started a new Facebook page specifically to share our HR tips and tricks with you. Check us out here > Latitude HR.
The Latitude Recruitment Team
A beautiful spot to spend our Summer holidays! Port MacDonnell, South Australia.